It rained and snowed all that night making the access road an absolute mud pit. The descent back to the forest service road was interesting to say the least. It was more of an 1/4 mile long uncontrolled slide. Making the escape from the Utah flash flood a walk in the park.... At one point the truck decided it wanted to go sideways down the road. The back of the camper dragged through the ditch and along the embankment that I was trying so very hard to avoid. I managed to skirt that disaster and a very difficult(and expensive) recovery mission. I'd also removed the rear support legs before I made my way down. If I hadn't, they would've been ripped off or hung me up in the mud pits. Definitely the farthest I've pushed this set up.
Once I dived into the task I realized the severity and the magnitude of the issue. The interior floor and the belly of the camper are essentialy the same structure. There were no floor trusses to differentiate between the the exterior belly and the interior floor. To make repairs, the entire camper would have to be gutted. This project was over before it ever began. The following Monday I filed a claim with my insurance company with intentions of a total loss situation.
I headed to Denver to get things ready for winter and swing by the storage unit. The plan to live in the camper was out due to the water damage so I was working on a "plan B".
Once the insurance adjuster had looked over the camper he agreed that it was not worth fixing and totaled it out. Though I was bummed about loosing The Betty it had a great outcome. There had been a screw up with the previous owner with the model year of the camper. When the adjuster ran the VIN, it came back as a 2005 instead of the assumed 2002 model. When they cut me a check it was double the value I'd originally paid for it! Just the stimulus plan I needed for the next rig!!!
The first step was buying a topper. With a little time on the never disapointing craigslist, I found one. Reinstalled the tail gate, framed up a bed/shelve thingy and poof! a new home! The Yakima box was mounted on the cab and the solar panel on the topper(future power for a heater). Every inch of space was used up including both front and rear hitches. A crew cab with seating for one. The set up turned out great! It was a liveable space that doubled as my Uhaul during my housing search in Breckenridge.